I love Hot Cross Buns and there is nothing better than home made ones!
Here’s my recipe…… I use a Breville bread machine to make the dough I am sure you could do this by hand, but if you’re using a bread machine, add the ingredients to your machine in the following order….
- 350ml almond milk (this need to be tepid NOT cold from the fridge. You can carefully warm in it you Vitamix. Too cold or too hot and the yeast will die)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp rapadura or coconut sugar
- 600gm/4cups bread flour
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp dried yeast
- 1 &1/2 cups of combined saltanas, currents and orange rind (add this to your bread machine’s nut dispenser)
Select the bread dough setting and press “go”!
For the cross:
- 1/4 cup white organic flour
- 1 Tbsp water
Whisk together to make a smooth batter and spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle.
For the glaze:
- 2 Tbsp rice syrup
- 1 Tbsp water
HAND SHAPING THE BUNS
- When dough is ready, take it out of your machine and place it on a floured surface.
- Divide dough into approximately 20 pieces. I use a chef’s knife for this
- With floured hands form into round bun shapes
- Place rounds close together on a baking tray lined in grease-proof paper.
- Loosely cover with cling-wrap and place in a warm spot for 20 mins or until almost double in size
- Prepare cross batter
- When buns have risen, remove cling wrap and pipe a cross onto each bun
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 190 deg for 15-20 min or until golden brown and give a hollow sound when tapped.
- Prepare glaze
- Remove form oven and place on a wire rack, brush over the glaze.
- Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.