When first looking into raw foods with Mimi Kirks‘ book LIVE RAW: Raw Food Recipes for Good Health and Timeless Beauty, I was super impressed and excited about all the raw food possibilities. At the same time though, I was also a little overwhelmed by some of the ingredients that I had never heard of before.
So as I flipped through her book looking for breakfast recipes that were quick and that had familiar ingredients, I stumbled upon this one and it has become come one of my kids’ favourites. So simple, quick to make, filling and yummy!
My version is slightly different, but you can find Mimi’s on page 94 of her LIVE RAW recipe book 🙂
- 1 large apple, chopped into chunks
- 1 large banana, cut in half
- A squeeze of lemon juice
- A small handful of activated nuts (I like to use walnuts)
- A selection or all of the following: pepitas, sunflower seeds, hemp hearts and/ or berries of choice, (I love raspberries for this dish as it contrasts with the sweetness of the banana really well and blueberries aren’t bad either).
- In to your blender or food processor, place in order: the cut up apple, nuts and then the banana halves, (this order is more important if you are using a blender).
- Squeeze over the lemon juice and pulse for about 1 minute or until pieces are quite small. (Don’t blend it for too long or you’ll end up with apple sauce!)
- Divide into bowls and sprinkle with pepitas, sunflower seeds and/or berries.
Serves: 1 adult or 2 kids Prep time: 3 minutes